Foundation Stage 2
Welcome to Reception at St Gregory's
Welcome to FS2 at St Gregory's
Miss Bath & Mrs Hill-Bloor
Mrs Till & Mrs Ogden
Children are more likely to be successful learners when there is regular communication and a good partnership between home and school. He / she is more likely to talk about their learning if you are involved and informed, so that you too, can talk about your child’s interests.
Listed below are the themes which your child’s class will be learning.
Where possible, talk to them about their learning. You may have more knowledge and information to share with them.
Remember to look at our DEAR PARENT LETTER for our weekly objectives in RE, Reading, Writing and Mathematics.
Our main topic area to this term:
- Settling in and Celebration
If anyone has any resources or artefacts which would be of interest, we would appreciate your contribution.
- People who care for us
- People who help us
Personal, Social and Emotional Development:
- Make friends
- Become an independent learner
- Take turns and share
- Feel safe and secure
Communication and Language Literacy:
- Joins in with familiar rhymes and stories
- Show an awareness of rhyme
- Identify the initial (beginning) sound (phoneme) in words e.g. cat begins with c
- Attempt a variety of writing e.g. lists, letters, sentences
- Reliably count up to 10 items (then 20)
- Number recognition
- Number writing
- 2D shape names and descriptions
- Move with confidence in and around the outdoor equipment
- Practice threading, beading, rolling and other fine motor control activities to build up hand eye co-ordination
Understanding the World:
- Know that other children don’t always enjoy the same things, and are sensitive to this.
- Show care and concern for living things and the environment.
- Talk about the features of their own immediate environment and how environments might vary from one another.
- Make observations of animals and plants and explain why some things occur, and talk about changes.
- Talk about why things happen and how things work.
- Recognise that a range of technology is used in places such as homes and schools.
- Select and use technology for particular purposes.
Expressive Arts and Design:
- Sing songs, make music and dance, and experiment with ways of changing them.
- Safely use and explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function.
- Use what they have learnt about media and materials in original ways, thinking about uses and purposes.
Your child may be given homework activities which may not require them to write or record.
It is important that you work with your child on these tasks.
Please remember to record any Magic Moments your child may have and send them into school.
(Magic Moment example — the first time they ride a bike without stabilisers)
Information for parents:
There will be the opportunity to meet your child’s teacher this term to discuss how well they have settled and the Foundation Stage curriculum.
Also information can be found on the DEAR PARENT letter.